We respond to local needs and provide underserved communities with tools to lead healthier lives through the integration of information, technology, and operations. This strategic advantage allows us to build and operate specialized laboratory networks in West Africa.
In collaboration with the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), we constructed a lab at the eHealth Africa campus in Kano State. The goal is to provide complex diagnostic services to enhance healthcare in Northern Nigeria.
The lab is comprised of shipping containers and includes a proper waste disposal system, constant water and power supply, and regular facility maintenance.
The 23.85 meter by 7.5 meter space is designed with two floors. The ground floor holds a reception area, three office spaces, a lobby, storage area, restrooms, a data office, a freezer storage room, and the main lab area. Meanwhile, the second floor is outfitted with office space, meeting rooms and storage for further use of the lab and research teams.
The lab currently serves as the private research lab for the International Foundation Against Infectious Disease in Nigeria (IFAIN). eHealth Africa provides the structure as well as the data systems, lab software, and operational expertise. The total construction cost of the lab is estimated to be $317, 460.
Our team of highly qualified engineers, field staff, and project managers bring international best practices to ensure that every project’s process and operations are smooth, integrated and functional.
Here is a list of equipment currently available at the lab:
- Bactec 9050
- LG Refrigerator (-20C)
- 80C Freezer
- Laminar flow cabinet
- Biosafety cabinet
- Hemechip (an investigational device used for the Sickle Cell Pilot study)
- Vortex machine
- pH meter
- Refrigerator (0C)
- Incinerator (Inciner8)
- Water distiller
The following software applications are installed at the lab and serve to enhance the workflow within the facility as follows:
- Odoo: This is an inventory management system
- BIKA: Used for Laboratory Information Management (workflow and result management)
- FreezerPro: This software is used for sample storage management
- RedCap: A secure and HIPAA compliant system for data entry, storage and result management
Currently, operations in the lab consist of research activities in collaboration with UNMC and IFAIN. Two research-related activities are underway:
- Induced Sputum Project: diagnosis of causative agent of pneumonia in pediatrics
- HemeChip Pilot Study: Electrophoretic technique for rapid diagnosis of genotype
The lab can support various diagnostic tests including:
- Antimicrobial susceptibility test
- Blood/Sputum cultures
- Microbiological analysis
- Water quality analysis
|Item||Amount in Dollars|